Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Big grins all around

There's a new moon tonight, and while I don't want to sound like a broken record (but what the hell! It's my blog), it's almost here. We set out on the morning after the next new moon, and I'm SO ready to go.

I got the last of the clothing last night. Salomon sent some really lovely gear last week, including some great, windproof trousers, but since I don't really want to (uh....how should I put this.....) cause irritation to my girly bits with cotton underwear under the trousers, I bought two pairs of Pearl Izumi liner culottes, which are easily washable and very lightweight. I'm kind of spoilt for choice, really, since I have a wide range of clothing for all seasons now. (And after the cold snap we suffered yesterday - temperatures went down 13 degrees in one day - I'm a lot more aware of the need to pack carefully for any weather contingencies.)

Rather than make a run back into Madrid halfway through the trip, during our rest day in Aranjuez, I've asked a friend of a friend to hold onto some stuff that I can pick up when I get down there on April 6th. I figure that that's what people who go on longer adventure trips do - they keep stashes of food and equipment along the way so that they don't have to haul everything along at once. The package will include the notes and material for Castilla - La Mancha and Andalusia, the second half of the labels to mark the route (I'm still concerned about how much 5,000 labels weigh) and a stock of personal items, like samples of toothpaste, shampoo and liquid laundry detergent. I know it hardly counts as a stash on the side of Everest, but I'd rather do that, rather than haul it all along at once.

What's left to get? Video camera, extra rechargeable batteries, a couple of new bras and a download of the video editing software. I don't think I'll be able to put the mini-documentaries up on the internet until after I get back, but I'd rather get as much of it sorted as I can before I go.

2 comments:

Andy M said...

Have you thought about using poste restante (en lista de correos)? I use it in France for stashes of spare inner tubes sun cream etc etc. I send them addressed to myself using polythene envelopes.

Good luck.

Dawn Sev said...

Hey Andy!

Good to see you here! I considered it, but after making another (!!) run at packing last night, I don't think it'll be a big problem. Aside from the labels (which I can't just buy anywhere), I'll probably just end up schlepping most of it with me. (Until I have to haul it up and down stairs and in and out of trains....ha ha ha...)

d