Monday, October 1, 2007

First of many sleepless nights

I'm not particularly fond of doing work on Sundays, but this weekend, I couldn't help it. What with the excitement checking out routes, alternatives and everything that had to be done, my brain just kept going and going and going and going.... which made for a very sleepless night last night.


I don't know why I couldn't stop thinking about the route. Too much caffeine, maybe. But I literally sat awake last night and sweated about what I should do about the section that goes through the Sierra de la Demanda.


The problem is that I don't know when exactly I'm leaving. I don't know if I'm going to do the Trans-Iberian in two parts (one section right after Christmas, the other during and the week after Semana Santa) or all in one go (leave on Palm Sunday and then return to Madrid on May 5th.) In either case, it's going to mean doing the trip during the late winter - early spring, when the snow is still thick up in the Sierra de la Demanda. It is possible to get around the Sierra, but it'd mean a 200-kilometre detour to get around the Sierra, which adds another three or four days to the route, which is already a month long.

And I kept lying awake, thinking, heavens - at the end of the day, it's ONLY a bike ride........!

No comments: