Friday, October 5, 2007

Yes, it's nice. No, you can't have it.

I'm a map freak. I have no problems admitting it. I can do a fair amount of damage in any bookshop, given enough free time and money; but put a selection of maps in there, and you can't get my butt out of there, even if there were a five-alarm fire burning the joint down.

I have most of the maps for the Trans-Iberian Express, but the one thing I don't have is the map for the Ruta Natural de los Dos Bahias, which links the Bay of Cádiz with the Bay of Algeciras, just to the west of Gibraltar. Or, better said, I did have it - but after two years and moving house once, I don't even remember if I still have it or if it was one of the many things that I chucked when I moved.

A quick Google search revealed that the Diputación de Cádiz (the regional authority) had published a book about the trail, but the first printing was sold out. I fired off an e-mail, asking if a second edition was coming out. And then I got the phone call.

For some reason, the automatic answering machine on my phone hasn't been activated, so I ended up playing phone tag with the representative of InfoCádiz. When I finally got ahold of him, the conversation went something like this:


Me: "Hi there. I'm calling about your guide to the Ruta de los Dos Bahías."

Mr. InfoCádiz: "Ah, yes. It's a shame about that book."

"A shame?"

"It's sold out."

"I understand that. Will there be a second edition of the book?"

"No, and it's a shame, because it's a really nice book. The guy who wrote the book got a grant from the Diputación de Cádiz to write it, but they wouldn't pay for a second edition, and he didn't want to pay for it, so... no more book."

"I see."

"And it's a real shame, because it was a great book. It had great information for people who wanted to do the route by car, on foot, riding a horse. And yes, I guess on bikes, as well."

"But I can't buy it."

"No one wants to pay for a second printing."

"Do you have any idea of where I could get another copy?"

"You may want to call the central switchboard of the Diputación de Cádiz and ask to speak to someone there. There's probably someone there who can tell you what you need to know."

And he rang off.

True, it was very generous of him to call to let me know. But I'm kind of confused as to why he went to so much trouble to try to sell a book that can't be purchased.....!

1 comment:

Dawn Sev said...

Wed, Nov 7/07:

Just a footnote to this original posting: A couple of days ago, a reader kindly provided a listing on the book that leads me to believe that it might be available at the Casa del Libro. Thanks, sralted!